Thursday, September 10, 2009

Ubuntu ARM

These days I've checked how Ubuntu can run on ARM machine. TI claims that OMAP3 gives "Laptop-like performance at handheld power levels in a single chip". And there's no way you cannot run Ubuntu on a laptop.

So, after some googling, I've found really nice howto for Ubuntu on BeagleBoard and Oliver Grawert's page. Unfortunately, the omap3evm Ubuntu image has only ubuntu-minimal and build-essential metapackages installed, so I needed to put my own image. Now, my desktop runs Gentoo and I doubt deboostrap will work on it. Fortunately, I had that nice small fit-PC2 around with Jaunty and almost empty hard disk... That said, after some long coffee break and some even longer kernel tweaking I've got Jaunty running on omap3evm. It's nice, but I expected somewhat better responsiveness from "Laptop-like performance" machine...


1 comment:

  1. I tried to put Ubuntu on omap3evm but it crushed during installation. how do you start that linux version on omap3evm?

    Robert

    ReplyDelete